I’m 62 today, easy to reflect on positive things…of course my parents, family on both sides, wife and son and my belief in God, and good health or I would be struck by lightning. Beyond my luck and some wonderful friends like MJ and Rich, Art, Russ, Viv, Wool, Jan, KK, Frank, Bob, Steve and Rich…here are some reflections….
1) Growing up in the technology evolution era since 1950…I have benefited from crayons to fax to computers to ipads from dial phones to pdas….then comes twitter and social media tactics. Black and white small Tv’s to huge monitors. Consumer products, AC and cars that go zoom zoom.
2) Grew up in a gang, the Baggers who enjoyed life and sports and learned how to communicate and be a team member. Those folks are the foundation of my life…period.
3) Grew up in Chicago the greatest city in the world and also living in Scottsdale AZ…palm trees and blue sky almost everyday is special…but the excitement, architecture, culture, lakefront, and Chicago sports teams have made life very enjoyable. Greats like Hull, Jordan, Payton, Butkus, Sayers, Banks and Santo…Harry Carey, Lloyd Pettite and Jack Brickhouse who told those stories.
4) Learning everyday to being a good communications person and giving me the rope to enjoy the job, theme parties, employee morale, video and create a brand for Molex from the Krehbiels and a few leaders like Krafthefer, Black, Slark and Hecht…to now with Avnet. Working with the Avnet Executive Board has been so rewarding…they are so nice and talented. Roy Vallee is simply the best communicator and leader any company can have. Plus we have some laughs. Starting w my leader Steve, Karen and then Ray who busts my chops everyday. Rick Hamada is going to do a great job.
5) To accomplish #4 I truly needed my wonderful staffs, fellow employees and great vendors to make my ideas come to life…even when they thought I was crazy…they were not afraid to do things for the first time. More importantly they always did things better than I could imagine.
6) I have enjoyed being entertained by comedians like Dangerfield, Carlin, and even Woody Allen…and rock and roll music…seeing most of the stars…Bill Haley and Comets, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Connie Francis, Turtles, Tom Jones to folks who only need one name on the marquee; Frank, Barbara, Cher and Elvis. Then the Who, Stones, Hendrix, Paul McCartney, Prince and probably the best..Michael Jackson. Today? Black Eyed Peas are my fav.
7) Hopefully made a difference in the community with the Toy Foundation and other programs…with some very nice people who think of others.
8) Playing 16 inch softball has given me an opportunity to play ball and have lifetime friends like from the neighborhood to Molex’s excellent teams and now here in PHX. I have been allowed to learn the history of this great sport…and create a documentary with Tom Tillisch on the game and then establish the Hall of Fame with some amazing board members..
9) I Still want to give back more in PHX and the Business Marketing Assocation is at the top of the radar screen. Learned alot from my BMA PHX peers and new friends…now is the global scale. I want to accelerate the success of B2B marketers with more knowledge and networking ops. Our awesome national board, Landon-Farrey team and chapter leaders can do it.
10) My biggest accomplishment? It has been enjoying, guiding and watching Zack grow up into Eagle Scout and now doing his own av business. That was not always easy…but so far so good. I love when he creates softball videos. I know he thinks we are a bit out there some times…he says we put the fun in dysfunctiional.
I have seen alot of history. Nam, civil rights, Berlin wall falling down to Kennedy and 9-11. Landing on the moon was awesome…Apollo 13 maybe even more so…I have had the pleasure to meet Kranz and Lovell. Can’t wait to see what else happens…maybe people will stop hurting each other and we can cure some diseases too.
So retirement is not going to happen too soon…I’m really enjoying life and work inside and out of Avnet. Lots of excitement and challenges ahead but can’t wait to see what unfolds.
Thanks to u folks who make my life so enjoyable and rewarding. I really miss a few that are not with us anymore. Michaelle thanks for everything and your love, ideas and support and keeping me balanced by telling me Im wrong and need to shape up, daily….she cant control me but she has contained me. I’m going for 62 more years. May need it if I’m going to see Cubs win World Series.