2012 is shaping up to be an amazing year for our industry. I thought IBM’s Partnerworld Leadership Conference in New Orleans was a tremendous event demonstrating IBM’s continued focus on high-value solution offerings and continued support of their IBM business partners and Avnet’s skills.
The announcement of the Solutions Accelerator Incentive was a great example of IBM’s commitment to the channel and their recognition of the value of combining hardware, software and services into a total solution. Avnet has been moving in this same direction for years. Our focus on “Solutions Distribution”, our extensive offerings around “SolutionsPath” and meeting unique industry needs are all based on the recognition of the demand and value for complete solutions. Another example of that is Avnet’s building and distributing IBM’s Netezza appliance as an integrated solution around the world.
With this in mind, I’d like to share some insights about our latest announcement, the acquisition and innovation of Ascendant Technology to expand our capabilities on behalf of our IBM business partners.
Avnet’s acquisition of Ascendant Technology supports our vision of solutions distribution that provides high business value and accelerates the success of IBM and our IBM business partners. We will grow Avnet’s entire IBM portfolio faster than the market.
- The acquisition of Ascendant Technology expands Avnet’s software and services capabilities that will accelerate IBM’s software sales globally.
- Avnet’s service team will be able to deliver software and services in partnership with the IBM business partner channel.
- Our route to market is through the IBM business partner channel.
- With this acquisition, Avnet is in a unique position to integrate the sales engagement model between IBM’s Software Group (SWG) and Systems Technology Group (STG). The result will be incremental workloads driving IBM hardware, software and services sales.
- Avnet’s strategy is to expand its solution distribution capabilities organically and through acquisition to drive faster growth and higher profit opportunities for our IBM business partners.
With the acquisition of Ascendant Technology, Avnet is in a unique position to drive IBM’s 2015 roadmap:
- Data Analytics: Avnet will extend the success of “Destination: Analytics” (Cognos initiative) by addressing the information lifecycle with master data management, data warehousing and governance.
- Cloud: Avnet is positioned to deliver total solutions on-premise, and expand its capability to drive IBM’s SmartCloud solutions.
- Growth Markets: Avnet will leverage best practices in software and services globally.
- Smarter Planet: Avnet will scale IBM’s Smarter Planet offerings to a greater number of its IBM business partners. (Smarter Cities – Intelligent Operations Center)
The ability to bring specialized services to our trusted IBM business partners is critical to help deliver a total end to end solution. Building a new practice or expanding a practice requires significant investments in hardware, software and services skills. These investments have traditionally been 100 percent in advance and 100 percent on our partners. Now, Avnet can provide a bridge across the chasm for you. We can bring hardware, software and services resources to you to expand your opportunities and determine where to invest. We can enable while you earn — by decreasing risk and improving time to revenue.
For our IBM business partner who have already made investments, we offer the opportunity to expand your offerings, access our service resource to improve your utilization, Avnet accessing your service resources, opportunity to sell our pre-built assets, lead generation, marketing and of course Teaming to improve your margins by maximizing IBM’s incentive programs.
We have received very positive feedback from many of our partners. What do you think? What services and assets would you most like to see Avnet bring to market to help drive your business growth? I look forward to shaping a “Smarter Channel” for our partners’ benefit and welcome your input.
Posted under General
This post was written by FJ on April 19, 2012