That’s a Wrap 2016
It is hard to believe that 2016 is coming to an end. Oh, what a year it’s been. Let’s take a trip down memory lane to reflect on the year past and where we see promise in 2017.
Year in Review
We said goodbye to David Bowie and Jon Snow (or did we?), went down to Rio for the Olympics to watch Michael Phelps make history, and we witnessed the Chicago Cubs win their first World Series in 108 years, to name a few.
On the Hill, we saw a lot of movement.
- We welcomed Congressman Hurd’s MOVE IT Act to update Federal systems and spread awareness of and access to the savings that modernization can offer.
- We looked at the latest FITARA scorecard and saw that agencies need to start hitting the books to earn an A.
- We found answers in the cloud – 55 percent of cloud adopters are evaluating cloud solutions as part of their overall IT strategy and the remaining 45 percent are evaluating cloud solutions for a limited number of specific applications. But security and privacy concerns are holding agencies back.
- We bid adieu to 4,388 data centers, leaving 9,995 functioning data centers in our path to tackle in 2017
- The Obama Administration released the first-ever Federal Cybersecurity Workforce Strategy, as directed by the Cybersecurity National Action Plan, to identify, recruit, develop, retain, and expand the cybersecurity talent across our government.
- Last, but certainly not least, we elected a new president, Donald Trump, who has already started to shake things up – for better or for worse.
Avnet Government Solutions was on the move, too.
- We launched AGS Cyber Protect, a Security-as-a-Service (SECaaS) offering, to give agencies access to the security they need, when they need it.
- We added Commvault to our GSA Schedule. Welcome to the family!
- We helped our partners win government business faster, easing the headache of maintaining a GSA contract.
- And, we donated our time to USO-Metro to help our nation’s military service members.
Although it was a rollercoaster of a year, 2016 had some promising advancements in government IT both at the Federal level and right here with Avnet Government Solutions.
New Year’s Wish List
New Year’s resolutions are always top of mind this time of year. Go to the gym more, eat better, sprinkle in a few good deeds each month. But we’re also thinking about what we can expect in 2017.
On the IT side of the house, we are already seeing some promising goals from FedRAMP. They’re aiming for more cloud, better security, and a stronger community. That’s something we can get behind.
And, with the release of the Data Center Optimization Initiative (DCOI) this year, agencies will need to push forward to meet the goal of reducing the cost of Federal data centers by 25 percent by 2018. This is increasingly important with a DCOI deadline looming – after January 27, 2017, agencies will need to seek approval from the OMB before spending any money on expanding existing data centers. At Avnet, we’re placing more focus in 2017 on data centers – as well as analytics, IoT, and mobility – to ensure our partners are prepared to help agencies meet upcoming deadlines and to continue our commitment of providing our partners with knowledge and solution breadth in these areas.
With a new president, it’s bound to be an interesting year, but one thing for certain is that cybersecurity will continue to be a priority – for our government and at Avnet Government Solutions. While we modernize our systems, reduce our data centers, and find answers in the cloud, it’s crucial that we continue to provide agencies with a secure fortress to keep our nation’s data safe.
Thanks for tuning in this year. All of us at Avnet wish you a happy holiday and healthy new year. See you back here in 2017!
Latest posts by Milo Speranzo (see all)
- New Year, New Administration for the US Public Sector - February 13, 2017
- Security Success Story Video – Fighting malware with secure endpoints in under 30 days - January 24, 2017
- A Year in Review with Avnet Government Solutions - December 30, 2016